To: "Angel L. Ortiz" <alor...@unex.es>; <rietveld_l@ill.fr>
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 12:42 PM
Subject: Re: defect measurement

Dear Angel,

I think you should pay attention to articles by Paolo Scardi and Matteo
Leoni.
They have developed a very powerful technique called WPPM (Whole Powder
Pattern Modelling) which is designed for microstructural analysis from XRD
data.
I suggest that you should check these papers:

1. P. Scardi, M. Leoni. Acta Cryst A58 (2002) 190-200.
2. M. D'Incau, M. Leoni, P. Scardi. J. Mater. Res. 22 (2007) 1744-1753
3. J. Martinez-Garcia, M. Leoni, P. Scardi. Acta Cryst A65 (2009) 109-119

and references therein.

A short and simple answer will be that XRD profiles taken for ball-milled
materials are much more distorted by dislocations than by vacancies. One of
the simple reasons is that dislocation-induced strain field decays as 1/R
and vacancies-induced strain field decays as 1/R^2 where R is distance from
diclocation core or vacansy center.

With best regards,
Eduard.