> 1. Is absorption indeed the most likely cause of this problem or are
> there other possibilities?
>
> 2. How do we model absorption in TOPAS? Which keyword do we use and what
> are reasonable values for the parameters in the expression?

1. You will find discussions of negative B-factors in the Rietveld list
archive http://www.mail-archive.com/rietveld_l@ill.fr/info.html Possible
causes cited for X-rays include polarisation correction, surface roughness
and absorption. You really do need to know how the data were collected -
Rietveld refinement should not be treated as a black box.

2. If B-factors are negative, it obviously means that higher order
reflections are stronger than they should be. Absorption can cause this,
since absorption will be greater for transmission (low angles). For a
cylindrical sample it can be shown that moderate absorption has exactly
the same effect on intensities as a negative contribution to the overall B
factor, and indeed you can calculate the magnitude of the effect if you
know the absorption coefficient. Again, use physical information rather
than simply refining more parameters.
Dr Alan Hewat, NeutronOptics, Grenoble, FRANCE
<alan.he...@neutronoptics.com> +33.476.98.41.68
      http://www.NeutronOptics.com/hewat