Dear Alan,

isn't it a little bit unfair to list just the Pros but skip the Cons?

We used to have a FINDIT subscription several years ago. Sadly,
our purchasing department canceled the subscription when we
got institutional access to the WWW version.

If I remember correctly, FINDIT had far more options to customize
and tweak a search than the WWW interface offers. You could e.g. search
for reduced cells, conduct several consecutive searches and combine
the results, select positive hits from the list and skip the rest,
export the selected hits etc. All these are features which I miss
badly in the WWW version (Or is there a way? Maybe I'm using the wrong
engine (http://icsd.fkf.mpg.de)?)

So, if you are just looking for a specific crystal structure, the
WWW version is nice because it is always up-to-date.
But if you try to condcut a systematic and as-complete-as-possible
study on a class of compounds, it can be really frustrating to
have just the WWW version instead of FINDIT.

However, this is just a personal opinion based on experience from
several years ago. Maybe the boundary conditions have changed since
then...

Best wishes,
Frank

Alan Hewat wrote:
I have problem to use FINDIT  software: after the starting windows,
sometimes it freeze. Is there anyone that know how resolve this problem?

FINDIT runs the PC version of the ICSD database. My personal opinion :-)
is that you should switch to the WWW version on
http://icsd.fiz-karlsruhe.de/ You can get a demo account and you can trade
in your FINDIT license for a WWW ICSD license, which will always be up to
date and run on any computer.

Alan.
Dr Alan Hewat, NeutronOptics, Grenoble, FRANCE
<alan.he...@neutronoptics.com> +33.476.98.41.68
      http://www.NeutronOptics.com/hewat