Hi all,

The certification of SRM 660b has been completed and the paperwork is in the
final stages of review, etc.  This process typically takes no longer than a
couple of months.  The new SRM has been prepared with a dedicated processing
run to synthesize LaB6 with the 11boron isotope enriched to a nominal 99%
concentration .  This will render the SRM relevant to the neutron scattering
community.  I have a gentlemen's agreement with the vendor that performed the
annealing for us to not discuss the specifics of the process; however, the
temperature was in the "high teens", dwell time is critical,  and a specialized
atmosphere was required.  The necessity, or lack thereof, of using this SRM is
entirely dependent on the application.  Measuring material of 20 nm crystallite
size on a laboratory diffractometer does not require a terribly good knowledge
of the IPF.

My, rather limited, experience with D8 area detectors with a mirror optic
(graphite monochromator???) is that the chief problem is particle counting
statistics and you are better off using SRM 1976a or 640d.  These materials
having a lower attenuation (by an order of magnitude) than LaB6 and they
display a sufficiently small degree of sample induced broadening that, for this
application, they are acceptable for determining the IPF.

Regards,

Jim

James P. Cline
Ceramics Division
100 Bureau Dr. stop 8520 [ B113 / Bldg 217 ]
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8523    USA
jcl...@nist.gov
(301) 975 5793
FAX (301) 975 5334