De : Frank Girgsdies
Date : 12/03/2010 10:15:22
A : Habib Boughzala;  Rietveld_l@ill.fr
Sujet : Re: Réf. : RE: Topas prm keyword

In the GUI mode, you simply initialize a parameter by entering
its name in into the grid on the "codes" tab, without the "=" sign!
This is equivalent to changing the line of code you've sent
from
Site OH num_posns 4 x  0 y  0 z  0.315309 occ O =oh; :  0.5 min =0; max =0.5
 beq  1
Site OH num_posns 4 x  0 y  0 z  0.315309 occ O oh; :  0.5 min =0; max =0.5;
beq  1
i.e. delete the "=" sign before the "oh".

Thus, I think there is no need to use the "prm" command
(or the launch mode) in your case.

However, there may be cases where it could be convenient to
declare a parameter separately. For example, I have a solid solution
series where all lattice parameters are a known function of
the stoichiometry parameter "X".
If I now want to do some restrictive fitting (instead of
four independent monoclinic lattice parameters I would
like to refine just "X"), then I can use the following workaround
to emulate something like the "prm" command in the GUI:

I simply add an additional dummy site to my structure phase.
Dummy site means that I may chose the name of the site and
the element freely, but set the occupancy to zero.
Now, I can use the x, y and z coordinates and the Beq as
"containers" for my parameters, because with zero occupancy,
the dummy atom will not contribute to the calculated intensities!
I enter the starting values for my parameter(s) in the "Values" tab
of the grid and the parameter name(s) in the "Codes" tab.
If a parameter is not to be refined, a "!" needs to precede
the parameter name.

Maybe this little workaround is useful to some of you.
I should add that this trick works in Topas version 3,
I'm not sure if it does with other versions...

Best wishes,
Frank

------

------