I found myself re-reading the posting: The quote from the link offered by Jon
is the sole statement that can be interpreted as allowing the candidate some
level of creativity in this position.

At NIST it is a very rare scientist that is not quite competent at using a
screwdriver.

I see no correlation between this position and that of a beam line scientist
who, as best I can tell, play an active role in the design and commissioning of
the custom equipment they use/provide.  This facility includes (quite nice)
commercial equipment only.

Yes, it would not be impossible for someone to make something out of this; but
there is nothing in the link that would imply that they will be empowered to
perform any kind of creative, PI caliber science: " Schedule XRD usage and
establish and enforce user policies that maintain an orderly, clean and safe
laboratory."  No thanks.

When I was in grad school, a master's degree implied high level of competence
in a particular experimental technique, like powder diffraction.  A PhD,
however, empowered one to do some real science.

Best,

Jim

James P. Cline
Materials Measurement Science Division
100 Bureau Dr. stop 8520 [ B113 / Bldg 217 ]
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8523    USA
jcl...@nist.gov
(301) 975 5793
FAX (301) 975 5334