Dear Leonid,

sorry to come back to an old thread, but there is something to be know
that you didn't tell completely.
So finally I came across this morning to a picture of the fit by ddm of
this bbm48bis sample with planar defects (coming from Maud examples,
picture and example now also on the ddm web site). I didn't see it at that
time as it was not included in the zip of Leonid and I didn't have Windows
to install ddm and check it (nor the time).
Now that I saw in the picture that Leonid did not use a cubic cell to fit
the alpha-brass, I took the time to download ddm, and check the solution.

So in the end, your model for faulting as you describe: "A more general
model [J Appl Cryst (2000) 338] is included in DDM:" was to use a trigonal
cell with hexagonal axis to allow refining the anisotropic shift of the
peaks caused by the planar defects? That is a nice trick, you can try to
justify it by reasoning that one effect of the planar defect is to get
same stacking sequence of the hexagonal (we all know that), but what about
the FCC stacking now?
To make the audience aware, just changing the cell was not sufficient, you
have to reproduce the intensities. So in the structure a couple of Cu, Zn
was set in 0,0,0 and another in 0,0,1/3 and the occupancies refined (to
values as 1.10392 for the first position and 0.39608 for the second, but
look like the second is calculated from the first) to adjust the
intensities and the density. But actually this didn't work out completely
as the resulting quantitative phase analysis is completely wrong. Not to
mention a quite high B factor (2.17 compared to the near 0.6 value of Maud
and the other BCC phase) for the atoms in the alpha phase, probably to
compensate for the wrong structure and kill the two high peaks at high
angle resulting from the trigonal structure.

Well this kind of trick may be able in certain cases to fit the pattern
(here just because peaks are broad and you don't notice the split on the
first peak and others of the alpha), but the results you get speak for
themselves.
And where are the crystallite sizes? Planar defect densities? So what kind
of results did you get from the material science point of view?
You could have used just a full profile pattern fitting at this point, and
at least get the crystallite sizes. So now I am asking myself why I don't
use always a triclinic cell to describe my phases, I will have the
flexibility to fit everything without resorting to complex "physical"
models.

Best regards,

        Luca