Alan,

the latest thread on Rietveld and powder diffraction has been most interesting
and even thought-provoking. So you should be encouraged to continue
with this group. I read it regularly and value it a lot. Some particular
comments, if I may:

1. Your point about all structures being triclinic: yes that may be true, but
most of what we want to find out about in terms of structure is
  the average, and that is where one uses higher symmetry as an aid to getting
an acceptable solution.

2. Having said that, when I started in this Rietveld business (your fault if
you recall!) we accepted that long-range periodicity was what we assumed and
that crystal structures for the most part were
regular (remember early papers of yours and mine!). However, over the years it
has become increasingly clear that it is the departures from regularity
that we need to study more. In my own research the gradual realization of this
in the PZT series is an example (see
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/141024/ncomms6231/abs/ncomms6231.html).
In this case, it has become clearer (or at least I think so) that real systems
like this are far more complex than thought hitherto. In PZT we now have
evidence that the true structure is
monoclinic rather than rhombohedral (yes you can call it triclinic if you want
but that just introduces too many parameters to be useful), at the unit cell
level, but averages into large
scale  regions that are on average rhombohedral and those that are monoclinic
i.e. a mixture of different coherence regions. This was achieved by a
combination of neutron Rietveld and PDF. Similar complexities are beginning to
be found elsewhere (in the perovskite field for sure).

3. The future? Always dangerous to make predictions (much greater scientists
than I have fallen into that trap). In the long run I suspect that the need for
crystals in the molecular
sciences will become unnecessary. For the most part molecular crystallographers
only use crystals as a means of ordering individual molecules so that they
can be used in diffraction. They are interested in the molecules and the
crystal structures (packing, intermolecular contacts) are of no interest. This
is especially the case for
macromolecular people for whom having to crystallise molecules is a pain. On
the other hand, much of inorganic and related materials have properties that
depend on the crystal structures,
and so crystals will remain of importance. It may well be the case that the
need to do actual powder diffraction for structural studies though will largely
go, as techniques evolve
to enable individual crystallites to be studied. I guess it will remain
necessary though for phase identification studies. Who knows? Except that the
whole field of crystallography is undergoing
major development right now with the brilliant new techniques appearing in EM,
synchrotrons, FEL's, neutron sources, NMR, Raman etc etc. It is in fact an
exciting time for crystallography.

Mike Glazer