Hi Robert

Exactly! If installed properly, it doesn't affect anything except the
background. I had a nice spreadsheet setup to give me knife heights vs
divergence vs maximum 2T value to make sure that I don't run into forbidden
teritory.

I dispute your assertion that a knife wouldn't be necessary if the optics
worked properly. As far as I know, the only way to get rid of air scatter
would be to evacuate the beam path.

I'm currently doing some experiments with an old knife setup on a D8, and
I'm getting some funny bumps at low angle, but in my experience with a
newer know setup, that is due to a divergence that is too big. I'll see if
I can put something together.

Matthew