From: rietveld_l-requ...@ill.fr [rietveld_l-requ...@ill.fr] on behalf of
Yaroslav Filinchuk UCL [yaroslav.filinc...@uclouvain.be]
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:17 AM
To: Lubomir Smrcok
Cc: rietveld_l@ill.fr
Subject: Re: structure solution terminology

Hi Lubo,

if we speak of diffraction, we have a Fourier transformation, so we
are not 100% in the direct space with any structure solution method.

However, the "structure solution in direct space" does not attempt to
work in the reciprocal space - all the manipulations are done in the
direct space. Also, it does not attempt to address properly the phase
problem, which is defined in the reciprocal space, but is simply
trying to find a model "directly" in the direct space. There is even
no inverse FT calculated! So, it is the fair name, IMHO.

Best regards,
Yaroslav