Surely sendmail reeled when thusly spake Geert Bevin:

> Fred, what is important for you, to have HTTP Authentication or to
> access tomcat's database?

That is indeed precisely the right question to ask  :)

The short answer is: HTTP Authentication.

The longish answer is: It appears that Rife is
architected to be incompatible with HTTP Basic
authentication ... BUT this is easily fixed.

> I would implement HTTP Authentication using RIFE's RoleUser
> credentials and authentication session managers. This gives you
> container independence and easy migration in case you need it.

I guess then you are referring to the instructions given at
http://rifers.org/wiki/display/RIFE/Flexible+authentication

The relevant classes appear to be
com.uwyn.rife.authentication.credentials.RoleUser
com.uwyn.rife.authentication.elements.Authenticated
com.uwyn.rife.authentication.elements.RoleUserAuthenticated
and possibly also
DatabaseAuthenticated, MemoryAuthenticated, MixedAuthenticated

It seems tho that actually the existing authentication classes
could be lightly modified to conform to HTTP Basic authentication.

Currently, when authentication fails, Rife replies with an HTTP
response "200 OK" (!)  This will _not_ trigger the appropriate
behavior in client apps (like browsers !) which look for a "401
Unauthorized" and, if it is found, generate a login dialog.

For example, a standalone WebDAV-capable editor application knows
to display a login dialog when it gets a "401", and it feels free
to ignore the HTML response body.  This is also how Tomcat's
"manager" servlet operates.

I would suggest that class Authenticated could be given a new
boolean configuration parameter (say, "httpbasic") which would
direct the Element to

(a) respond to login failure with "401 Unauthorized"
      (plus an [optional?] login template), and

(b) set the childTrigger if (and only if) the
     "Authorization:" response header is valid.

Does this sound correct ?

fred

--
F.Baube                *