> While this is a very nice initial step, it would be even cooler to
> make it as capable as the well known display tag library for JSP:

Hi all,

Indeed it would be cool to have such a reusable component in RIFE.
My example wasn't meant to be such a component, but rather a simple
example of using embedded elements. I chose a sortable table as an
example because I remember seeing somewhere that someone was asking,
"how would you do this in RIFE"? Also I think it's an example that
people can relate to.

Anyway, although I'd be interested in participating in such an effort,
there is something I want to discuss with you all.

Do you think it is worthwhile to attempt to develop such a component?

In my experience, such attempts using JSP custom tags, JSTL, or whatever,
have resulted in components that become too complicated, with a slew of
attributes and values for those attributes, special cases, exceptions,
etc. And, there is always something particular that isn't there.

I do want to make it clear that I haven't looked much at the display tag
library that Geert indicated; I'm therefore not judging it and have no
doubt that it very well may be solidly designed, easily customizable, etc.

I'd just like to hear what others think. Of course, if we attempt such a
component for RIFE, it would have to be well designed and easily customizable.
At first thought, I would think this would be "easier" to accomplish because
there is *more* in Java code than in templates in RIFE. Thus the "burden" of
an API is less because of the richer facilities in Java code: Javadocs,
auto-completion in IDEs, error detection at compilation rather than at runtime,
etc.

Anyone have experiences, ideas, thoughts to share?

Thanks,

Frederic