Aha, figured it out: I need to do

   processTemplate(template);
   String homeBlock = template.getBlock("homeBlock");

or actually

   Template tpl = (Template) template.clone();
   processTemplate(tpl);
   String homeBlock = tpl.getBlock("homeBlock");

if I don't want to worry about it possibly resolving values whose defaults I haven't overridden yet.

Is that pretty much the way to go?

-Steve

Steven Grimm wrote:
If I have a template with a block like this:

<r:b name="homeBlock">
</r:b>

and my element implementation does

   String homeBlock = template.getBlock("homeBlock");

I get back the raw text of the block (a string that contains "${v EXIT" etc.) How do I fetch the value of a block with all the values rendered? Obviously if there are values that haven't been filled in yet, those can't be rendered, but in this case the block doesn't contain any such values.

-Steve