Hi David,

Happy Holidays / Merry Christmas, btw.

Likewise :-)

I think I was being a little too specific -- I didn't mean necessarily an "any" role.. I just mean not having to explicitly pass an explicit role in the declaration of the auth element. Or, even more succinctly, since I just tried it -- and rife doesn't complain -- what is the default role assigned if I don't pass the <property name="role"></property> tag ...?

I think the crux of the issue is: do I really have have to have a special page for admin users to log in to as opposed to regular users... since at the end of the day I can programmatically determine who should be allowed to access a given page based on the their authorized role(s) in the DB. Of course, unless I've missed the boat here, does this mean that regular users cannot have additional privileges if they have multiple roles in the DB..?

There is a difference between the roles that a user has and the role that is required to access a certain page. When you specify the role property for the authentication element, you indicate that only users with that role are able to access that page. This is checked during the login of the users, as well as every time a page is accessed that is authenticated. This means that a user can login elsewhere on the site and visit a page that is protected by another role, and doesn't have to log in again if he has that role.

I think that what you want to do is to have one login box for the whole site that everyone can user and then use the scripted blockvalue support with roleuser evaluations to conditionally provide functionalities based on the role of the user. Is that correct? If you want to do this, just give all the admins also the user role. Then create a login box that has the 'user' role property and it should just work. Everyone can login there and only admins will see the sections that are specific for them. Btw, this is exactly what is used by the Bamboo forum app.

Hope this helps.

Geert

--
Geert Bevin