Christian,

Have you seen blabla list? this is a link to it's REST API:
http://rifers.org/wiki/display/BLA/REST+API

You don't have to do anything special to return XML over HTTP; just
set your templates to describe the xml structs you want to return with
value placeholders for the dynamic bits, just as you would for an
xhtml output. Download the blabla code. Should help more.

HTH

Cheers,
Emmanuel