I'm not sure that the continuation id will be a good indication, as every request is technically part of a continuation. So, it will always appear as though the "login" element is executing as a continuation step.

Continuations are only active for elements that use continuations- related calls like pause(), call() and stepback(). A continuation ID will only be available for those elements that have these methods. Answer doesn't cause a continuation to be created, I think.

Would it be possible to have a sketch of what a continuation tree looks like? I think that would clarify a lot of things.

No pressure, though. I know you're a busy man :-)

If you're using the 1.6 nightly builds, ContinuationContext.getActiveContext() and use getParentContext() to walk the tree upward, if you want.

That's all the help I can give you want 'sketching the tree' atm, sorry. :-/

--
Geert Bevin
Terracotta - http://www.terracotta.org