Forwarding to ring@ as many users may have insight or be impacted.

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Alexandre Viau" <alexandre.v...@savoirfairelinux.com>
To: ring-...@lists.savoirfairelinux.net
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2016 12:05:16 PM
Subject: [ring-dev] First Ring Release + tagging + stable channels

Hello ring-dev!

We are moving towards the first release and we have to make a decision as to
how how we intend to support the release.

Here are the questions we should answer:

 - Do we want a repository with only tagged releases, and not weeklies?

One idea would be to have two repositories, one with weeklies and one with only
tagged releases. What could happen is that we make breaking changes and
weeklies users may be unable to communicate with the users of the tagged
releases. I think that this is a risk that they should accept if they chose to
use the weeklies.

- Do we want to be included in distros stable releases?

I am able to influence Debian's decision as to if we are included in the next
stable release. Distributions are unlikely to go against our decision. When we
release ring, we should include a message that indicates how committed we are
to supporting the release. If we make it clear that we don't intend to fix
security issues, distributions are likely to keep us in unstable repositories.

Stable releases generally last about two years. Are we ready to support a
version of ring for two years? If they end up with a non-working version of
ring, this could be bad publicity for us and users may dismiss ring because it
doesn't work in their stable distro.

Being included in stable releases will greatly increase the accessibility of
ring, there is a good portion of non-technical users that chose not to add
extra repositories to their distro. Techniques like apt-pinning that allow
users to use only some packages from unstable repositories are not
user-friendly, we shouldn't expect non-technical users to use them.

- Do we want to release the gnome client as a whole?

We now have the ring-project repository on gerrit. This could allow us to build
the gnome-client by statically linking lrc and ringd, without providing *-dev
packages.

The advantage of this is that no other package will be able to link against
ring libraries, allowing us to update the libraries without breaking too many
things. I cannot guarantee that this would be accepted by distributions, but
this was seen in the past. In particular, this makes it easier for us to
support a stable release and include security fixes without breaking things in
other packages.

The downside of this is that other clients won't be able to be packaged in the
distributions without being included in the ring-project repository.

Debian policy says this:
 (https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html)
 "In some cases, it is acceptable for a library to be available in static form
only; these cases include: libraries whose interfaces are in flux or under
development"

An answer to these questions would be a good start.

Cheers,

--
Alexandre Viau
alexandre.v...@savoirfairelinux.com