The capacity of the stick must be larger than ~3 GB.

On the stick will be three partitions, 1 GB size each. It is simple written to the partition table that there are this partitions, it doesn't matter whether this is possible or not (e.g. the stick has only a capacity of 2 GB).

This is only my experience. Last time my USB stick broke down I first tried to replace it by a stick with a capacity of 2 GB only. The probe wrote some data to the stick (the LED of the stick was blinking) but then the probe hang in a boot loop. After plugging the USB stick into my pc fdisk showed me that there are this three partitions.