Hi,

I would like to point you to a discussion on the DNS-OARC mailing list:
https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2018-December/018196.html

One of the operators at .ca noticed that old probes report way higher response
times using DNS CHAOS queries (300% or more) (see also [3]).
After some digging, we came to the conclusion that this has to do with the fact
that he is carrying out “one-off” measurements.
When carrying out the same query for a longer time, we cannot observe this
delay.
The issues seems to be that one-off measurements are scheduled at probes using
a different library than measurements that run for a longer period  (“eooqd”
instead of “eperd”).

Some small additional delays have been documented before on the RIPE Atlas
website and in research papers [1, 2], but the big delay with one off
measurements was new to me.

Also to others? Is our assumption correct that the scheduler is the culprit?

Moritz

[1] https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2805789.2805796
[2]
https://clarinet.u-strasbg.fr/~pelsser/publications/Holterbach-ripe-atlas-sharing-imc2015.pdf