Hello Daniel and others,

On 18. 12. 18 14:09, Daniel Suchy wrote:
> Hello,
> I think there should be specified, which tests/options are really
> *necesary* for this compability testing related to the DNS flag day.
> From operator perspective, you just need to know, if your implementation
> will have problem or if it's OK... and I think many details reported by
> [2] will not be even understood by normal users.
>
> From a quick look, you're missing ability to set some bits (flags) and
> other options in query packet. Majority of tests in linked source code
> are using SOA, some other common types in query, which are already
> included in options available, some aren't - but they're quite exotic
> query types and probably not widely used - so are these really needed?
>
> I don't think allowing "simply" anything (as you're proposing in [a] or
> [b] below) is a good apporach. Some options (ignoretc, for example) will
> not be even understood by current `dig` implementations, that's another
> problem. And there's always some risk of malicious use and "open" Atlas
> network may be misused. So I prefer to stay restrictive in terms of
> queries allowed over Atlas network.

I remember from RIPE 77 meeting that there are strong opinions on
limiting what can be done and that there are reasons for that. Purpose
of my e-mail is to find out if there is a middle ground.

Does your answer mean "it is not going to happen, go away"
or is there a room for negotiation?

I can provide detailed argumentation if you are willing to negotiate.

Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC