Having individual users contacting other individual users about probe location
problems seems like a not very scalable solution to this problem. It both
leaves it somewhat random which issues will be caught, and may leave probe
owners whose probes look somewhat atypical having to explain their situation
over and over again to random people.

I have a cron job that goes through the entire probe list every few hours and
runs the IP addresses against the MaxMind Geolite databases.  MaxMind has its
own accuracy issues, but after a bunch of spot checking I decided that trusting
the MaxMind answers was better than trusting the owner-reported information for
the probes.

If somebody wants to take a more systematic approach to getting the Atlas
location data cleaned up, I’d be happy to share a diff. But I’d suggest that it
be done by somebody with access to the database cleaning up things that look
wrong, instead of bugging a bunch of individual probe owners.

-Steve

Steve Gibbard