On 10 Dec 2021, at 0:37, Randy Bush wrote:

> a sweet old v1 probe, 2285, in a hard to access (due to covid) place
> died 19 months ago.  i want to swap in a v3, 25898, this weekend.  i
> know i could create a new entry, but how do i delete the old; or better
> yet, move the data from old to new?  stop laughing.  :)

I’m not laughing! 8-)

I know that the kind of administrative trick you
suggest is possible, at least for software probes.
I discovered this when, during a Turris OS upgrade,
I “lost” such a probe.

The solution suggested by the Atlas team was simply
to register the new instance with the ID number I
had been using before. This worked.

IIUC, each hardware probe is pre-registered. This
may be an obstacle; I don’t know.

/Niall