Max Grobecker <max.grobec...@ml.grobecker.info> writes:

> This could be done maybe by querying a special DNS name which returns
> the IP address from where the query was received (like
> "whoami.akamai.net").  By comparing the ASN of the probe and the ASN
> of the IP address returned by the DNS query, one could determine, if
> the ISP's servers are used.

There should be no need for a new service.  The SOS queries already
provides the necessary raw data. You can see resolver addresses in
the probe's "SOS History".

Someone "just" has to process the data and produce a
"Resolver-in-same-AS" tag.

> This would also be true for people running their own recursor, but
> this could be filtered as well very easy.

How?  Reject resolvers which are only used by a single probe? Or did you
have something smarter in mind? If not, I fear it would produce a large
number of false positives.  Many ISPs will have a relatively large
resolver to probe ratio (when counting resolver addresses visible to
authoritative servers).

> If an ISP is using multiple ASN, this could be a problem. Maybe
> there's an easy solution for this as well.

Geoff Huston has tried to analyze this as part of open resolver
measurements: https://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2019-09/centrality.html

Doing a "same CC and not well-kown public resolver" might do it.

Bjørn