Hi,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 01:24:38PM +0100, Robert Kisteleki wrote:
> On 2023-01-29 20:11, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> > First and foremost, a RIPE Atlas probe is a centrally managed piece of
> > software, and this is what it needs to be: centrally managed, centrally
> > upgraded, always at the upgrade level the central controller wants it
> > to be.
>
> As I tried to explain before, this is true for the HW probes, not so
> much for SW.

And I keep totally ignoring all arguments why it should stay that way.

So, yes, *today* it is the way it is, and I think "automated and mandatory
updates" should have been designed into SW probes from day one - that
boat has sailed, but I still think that this is a desirable goal.

To repeat my argument: if I schedule a measurement across 100 probes,
I do not want to deal with different results purely caused by different
probe software versions (like, "30 of them do not support TLS1.3 yet,
the other 970 do", which might look like "something is interfering
with TLS1.3 measurements for these 30 probes").

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279