Hi Lukas,

The intention of this mail is to warn you in case the system has reasons to believe that you'll run out of credits "soon". A burst of one-off measurements changes the credit consumption rate temporarily, so it kind of makes sense that you see correlation between when you get these mails and when you schedule new measurements.

However, I cannot claim the calculation behind it is flawless; based on your report we'll do a sanity check of what it did in your cases.

Thank you for flagging this!

Regards,
Robert

On 2024-01-11 20:55, Lukas Tribus wrote:
Hello,

the "Your credits are decreasing dramatically!" emails have always
been a mystery to me. I always get them a few days after a
"troubleshooting session" with a number of one-off measurements.

Here's the latest one; on January 6th, between 14:00 and 16:00 UTC I
made a number of one-off Atlas measurements. The youngest (latest)
Requested Stop Time which matches Systems Stop Time is:
2024-01-06T14:35:02Z

I did not request any other measurements, and I have no "continuous"
measurements running currently.

And yet, on January 10th 00:48 UTC I get an warning:

Our records show that you've consumed 40500 RIPE Atlas credits in the last 48
hours, or approximately 14.06 credits/minute.

On January 11th, 01:56 UTC I get the same exact warning again:

Our records show that you've consumed 40500 RIPE Atlas credits in the last 48
hours, or approximately 14.06 credits/minute.

The data in those emails is just wrong, I did not use any credits for
at least 72 hours (first email) and at least 96 hours (second email).

It looks like already stopped one-off measurements are used for
predictions not only of the future but for the past 48 hours as well?

This is not a first, I got many of those erroneous messages in the past.

Thanks,

Lukas