Hi Andrew,

Apologies for the troubles with your Anchor. The history content is our
decommissioning playbook; though I do see that
pl-szz-as28785.anchors.atlas.ripe.net is online and connected to Atlas, is
there a different Anchor that was powered off in this way? Would you also
mind sharing the ticket numbers with me? Happy to help get your Anchors
back online if they were unnecessarily decommissioned.

Thanks for hosting,
Sean Mottles
RIPE NCC

On Wed, 30 Sept 2026 at 16:18, Andrew Gallo via ripe-atlas <
[email protected]> wrote:

> We host an anchor that went offline on Sept 1, 2026.  During
> troubleshooting, I noticed the following in root's .bash_history:
>
> > ping pl-szz-as28785.anchors.atlas.ripe.net
> > tail -f /var/log/ansible.log
> > yum -y update
> > reboot
> > cat /etc/redhat-release
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=$(mount|grep boot|awk '{print $1}')
> > rm -rf /etc/ /home/ /srv/ /export/
> > systemctl poweroff
>
> Indeed, the boot partition is corrupted, grub can't identify any
> filesystem on it, nor can any other file system tools.
>
>  From the messages, I can see that a named user from RIPE (meaning, it
> didn't appear to be an automated login) was logged in at this time.
>
> I opened a ticket in the portal on September 11 and have not received an
> update, nor can I open a second ticket on the same node.
>
> Before I begin to reinstall or recover this node, I'd like to know
> what's going on.  Has anyone else seen anything like this?
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> ________________________________
> Andrew Gallo
> The George Washington University
>
> -----
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list or change your subscription options,
> please visit: https://mailman.ripe.net/mailman3/lists/ripe-atlas.ripe.net/
> As we have migrated to Mailman 3, you will need to create an account with
> the email matching your subscription before you can change your settings.
> More details at: https://www.ripe.net/membership/mail/mailman-3-migration/
-----
To unsubscribe from this mailing list or change your subscription options, 
please visit: https://mailman.ripe.net/mailman3/lists/ripe-atlas.ripe.net/
As we have migrated to Mailman 3, you will need to create an account with the 
email matching your subscription before you can change your settings. 
More details at: https://www.ripe.net/membership/mail/mailman-3-migration/

Reply via email to