Leo, TF people,

Thank you for coming up with a good and concise code. In particular I like the separation of ‘code’ from ‘enforcement’.
This is a good way forward!

Here are a few general suggestions. I will make some concrete text suggestions in a separate message soon.

1. I have the feeling that both applicability and behaviours can be described even more concisely: focus even more on the principles and separate them even more clearly from the long lists of examples. Call out the examples specifically as ‘examples’ illustrating the principles; do not write ’includes but is not limited’.

2. Heed Vesna’s suggestion to spell out expected behavior in the face of CoC violations in general terms. I understand that you want to separate ‘enforcement’ from the code, but doing this describing enforcement. As much as the code can speak to unacceptable behaviour it can speak about desired behavior … in general terms. I agree with Vesna that this is empowering and also demanding individual action, which is good.

3. Do not give the PC a special role. The whole paragraph is out of place and suddenly mentioning the RIPE NCC too. It almost looks like someone forgot to delete it from a previous version. Keep formal roles and ‘enforcement’ out of this as much as possible.

4. Do not speak about ‘national laws’, just about ‘laws’. Do not refer to ‘the authorities’ but rather to ‘law enforcement in the appropriate jurisdiction(s)’. There suddenly is mention of the CoC team out of the blue in that paragraph too. Another leftover?

5. If you feel that you have to mention roles and organisations in our community, do so in general terms. It may be worth mentioning that there will be different documents describing ‘support’, ’enforcement’ and ‘sanction’ roles with regard to the CoC and that multiple roles already exist complementing each other. Examples: RIPE Chairs, RIPE NCC, WG Chairs, PC, Trusted Contacts, … .

Again: Thank you all very much for the good work!

Daniel