On 11/05/2023 12:12, denis walker wrote:
Hi guys

People who work for a national lottery company are also citizens and
residents of the country. But they are usually not allowed to buy
lottery tickets. Pro footballers are also football supporters. But
they cannot gamble on the outcome of a game. There are many examples
of a group of people who act as an executive body or secretariat but
cannot make decisions for the larger body they serve. For RIPE NCC
staff, my view would be that it is fine for them to be involved in
making decisions (openly and transparently) about technical and
operational matters and to be actively involved in discussions about
policies, which they often have a deep understanding of. But to
determine the outcome of policy discussions and setting the policies
that govern those operations, which they then implement, may be
crossing the line on conflict of interest.

That's a good argument. So I think you are saying that RIPE NCC staff can take a full part in discussions but shouldn't actually be involved in the decisions about consensus, ie they shouldn't be a WG Chair.

Although I have absolutely no doubt that RIPE NCC employees are in general capable of splitting their community and work hats, for the sake of the appearance of things they should avoid even the appearance of conflict of interest.

All the best

Nigel