Dear all,

The document shared by Mirjam is primarily written from the community
perspective:
The community welcomes staff to participate in the community

There is, however, a limitation:
* …RIPE NCC staff need to act sensibly to avoid the perception of unduly giving
guidance to themselves.

We have internal written policies such as the RIPE NCC code of conduct,
 https://www.ripe.net/about-us/staff/ripe-ncc-code-of-conduct.pdf

which covers Representing the RIPE NCC Externally (text included below for
reference) and, to some extent, unwritten guidelines regulating extracurricular
engagement, such as participation in the PDP and community work. Updates to
internal policies will be discussed with staff and take Works Council advice
and approval where necessary into account. In general, we do not discuss
internal policies with the community, but we base them on the principles set by
the community.  The employees have a formal say through their elected
representatives on The Ondernemingsraad (OR), also known as the Works Council.
See https://www.ripe.net/about-us/staff/structure/works-council for more
information.

A clause in all employment contracts requires approval for extracurricular
positions. This may apply to Working Group Chair duties in the RIPE Community
or other communities. We have a workflow in the personnel system for this.

The current practice has been very restrictive for RIPE WG positions,
especially for Address Policy and Services. In principle, the RIPE NCC is happy
to provide “secretarial support” to the WG Chairs, but we should not take on
chairing working groups unless there is an exceptional need.

I am aware that there have been several exceptions throughout history for
various reasons. The current wording allows for that, but the Executive Board
and management may see the need to be more restrictive than the community
principles in certain cases.

RIPE NCC staff play a special role in community activities: on the one hand,
they are important experts with excellent knowledge; on the other hand, they
are ultimately the ones receiving guidance from RIPE. Therefore, RIPE NCC staff
need to act sensibly in order to avoid the perception of unduly giving guidance
to themselves.

I am looking forward to a fruitful discussion on how the RIPE NCC can
participate in and support the community,

Sincerely,

Hans Petter Holen
Managing Director
RIPE NCC

RIPE NCC Code of Conduct:

9. Representing the RIPE NCC Externally
The Code of Conduct is applicable for both work and work-related events and
meetings. RIPE has a separate Code of Conduct in place that applies to all
participants of its meetings and online interactions. All staff are expected to
adhere to the  RIPE Code of Conduct when they represent the RIPE NCC
externally.

Many of us travel for work. This includes conferences, education courses,
member lunches, RIPE Meetings, RIPE NCC Regional Meetings, being a member of a
working group, etc. What you say as a representative of the RIPE NCC can have a
lasting impact – for better or worse. Be mindful of what you say and who you
are saying it to. This counts for verbal communication as well as via email and
social media. When you respond or reply on a public mailing list or forum, be
aware that readers of your comment see you as a RIPE NCC representative. A
personal opinion can easily be seen as the opinion of the RIPE NCC. The
community is well-connected and word travels fast. We expect each employee to
always act and communicate in the best interest of the RIPE NCC’s mission and
vision and in line with the RIPE NCC’s values.

Internal discussions and differences of opinion will be discussed internally
and any differences displayed externally should be done so following internal
coordination and always with the intention to bring good perspectives to the
external world. To the outside world, staff members of the RIPE NCC have many
voices bringing their own expertise and perspective, but these voices should
not conflict in any way with overall RIPE NCC strategy or policy, and these
voices should never be seen to argue unnecessarily in a public way. Discuss
differences with your colleagues internally rather than externally. If people
are unsure of what can be communicated externally, check with your People Lead.