MrSinatra;631085 Wrote:
> however, the differences of level, as a function of what the artists
> intended, are only meaningful in sequential track order.  i doubt there
> has ever been a case where an artist cared about the relationship of the
> levels between track 3 and track 14 on a given album.
> in such a scenario, (and i truly don't know what SBS does under
> smartgain when this happens), but i would want SBS to use track gain,
> then album gain for the two songs if in linear, ascending track order,
> then track gain again.  (maybe descending too, have to think about
> that...)
>
> if however the two songs from the same album were not next to each
> other, i'd want track gain applied for what i think are obvious
> reasons.
I agree with many of your points, but I don't think this one is obvious
at all. In fact I'd say there is a strong argument for the opposite. If
relative levels matter for sequential tracks (3->4, 4->5, ..., 12->13)
then it follows that relative levels matter for 3->14 as well. To me it
seems obvious that the White Album's "Good Night" (track 13 on disc 2)
should _not_ be played as loudly as "Helter Skelter" (track 4 on the
same disc). Personally I would want that volume difference honored even
if they were played back to back. In either order.

MrSinatra;631085 Wrote:
> smartgain should always use track gain on compilations, imo.  album gain
> is really not appropriate here, since obviously there is no artist
> intent involved.
I think this one is not obvious either, but more a matter of personal
preference. If it is a compilation by a single artist, then I can
easily see cases where the artist would want different levels for an
acoustic ballad versus an ear-bleeding rocker. For compilations of
multiple artists I'd agree there is no artist intent, but there is a
reasonable argument for a production decision to deliberately vary the
relative levels of the tracks.

--
aubuti