Philip Meyer;638609 Wrote:
> >Do you know if there is a reason why it doesn't affect the album
> artist
> >contributor roles ? Feels like it should, doesn't it ?
> An album can be a compilation without needing differing artists on
> songs.
>
> eg. some users may want to tag a "Greatest Hits" album by an artist as
> a compilation (as in a compilation of tracks from an artists back
> catalog).  i.e. it will set the compilation tag on the album, and the
> album.contributor will still be the primary artist, not "Various
> Artists".
>
> [I haven't tried this; I'm guessing this is the effect/reason].
>
> There's no real association between compilation and album artist
> properties.
What would be the expected behavior in this case ?

Is your idea that the user may want to put the album inside "Various
Artists" but when going to the "Albums" menu the album should still be
listed with the real artist like:
- "Best of by Some Artist"
instead of:
- "Best of by Various Artists".

I agree that this might be useful but it also feels like a very special
case, I think most users will be happy if the "Greatest Hits" albums are
listed under each artist instead of under "Various Artists". Setting the
ALBUMARTIST tag and not setting COMPILATION tag will accomplish that
already today.

Also, if we want to start separate "Greatest Hits" type of albums I
think there is a bigger need to separate singles and partial albums
because singles and partial albums could create long album lists and
often they are named very similar to normal albums so it's hard to know
if it's a single or the real album without navigating into it. I know
there are ways to re-tag by not having any ALBUM tag to avoid the
singles problem, but still.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))