By design, LMS does not write tags, or anything else, in the music
library except for playlists. And if you have your permissions set
properly, LMS or plugins could never write anything to your music files
because user "squeezeboxserver" should have read-only access to the
library.

Among music players in the Windows world it is very common for player
software to change tags even when not asked. I've seen it happen with
Windows Media Player (blech) and older versions of foobar2000. I
haven't run into that on Linux players, but then I haven't used many of
those (Songbird and xmms only).

--
aubuti