Hi,

I have a collection of flac files, some of long classical operas,
which have been converted from dsf. Each track is stored as an
individual flac on a Linux system.

In some cases Musicbrainz does have tags, but these are problematic,
either listing artists differently, or providing too much information
for each track. For example, a Wagner opera might consist of hundreds of
tracks, each listing artists in several different formats, roles,
technicians, composer and conductor.

In my present collection, I have spent quite a lot of time using qoobar,
tidying this information, so as to present the performing artists by
standard name only and deleting spurious information.  The clean-up is
still not complete, but is a lot better than what is available directly
from MusicBrainz.

My problem is that now I want to recreate the flacs from dsf at a higher
bitrate, as I now have a DAC that will handle 24/176.

Can anyone help me with steps 1 and 4 of the following (needs to be
scripted due to large number of files):

1. Go through each directory, exporting all the tags (including extended
flac tags and artwork) for every existing .flac in the directory and
storing.
2. Delete the flacs
3. Recreate flacs at the higher bitrate (files will be named identically
to the way they were before).
4. Retag the new flacs using the stored metadata from step 1.

BR.

--Marius--