A benefit to going with FLAC (or perhaps ALAC if one was inclined) is
that the tags and files are likely to be more widely supported.

I've not used WAV files directly, but for a while (before FLAC really
took off), I was using APE and SHN files.  I probably would have stuck
with them, but support was inconsistent and now FLAC is the standard for
lossless.  Thankfully, it is easy to change lossless files to other
lossless types.  Totally worth it as I quickly learned that FLAC files
are so nice and flexible with regard to metadata.