Lets define a compilation.

Definition 1 - an album that has tracks which were previously released
on another album or as singles etc but are all by the same artist. This
album might for example be a “best of”

Definition 2 - an album containing multiple tracks by multiple different
artists. A “Now” album for example

Both definitions are correct and both are in general use.

However my definition when used in conjunction with LMS is a VA album ie
definition 2.

I want my definition 1 compilation albums to appear under the single
artist. Best of Cream should appear under Cream.

My tagging strategy ensures this is the case.

When I say I have no albums that contain a compilation tag I mean just
that. None. None with compilation=0 and none with compilation=1.

(I have had situations where some ripping software has initially stuck a
compilation=1 into my album and the result is that when looked at via
New Music the album appears as by VA. Removing the tag will correctly
list it under the AA.)

When I say I use multiple AAs I also mean just that. My favourite
example is B.B. King & Eric Clapton, Riding With The King.
It is tagged in mp3tag as follows:
AA - “B.B. King & Eric Clapton; B.B. King; Eric Clapton”
Track Artist - “B.B. King & Eric Clapton”
The result is that LMS reads that as 3 separate tags and it therefore
appears in my library under all 3 AAs which is what I want.

(In the default GUI when you look at the album it’s a bit messy but
Material - by accident of design - only displays the first AA which is
perfect.)

I do not have and will never have anything where the AA is tagged as
“VA” as LMS can deal with a definition 2 compilation quite happily if
there is no AA tag in place but the album has multiple track artists.
You mention that there are inconsistencies if this is the case. I have
not experienced any and my library is quite extensive.

I do not use any other music playback software so I do not care whether
Apple Music etc baulks at the lack of any AA.

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
*Office* - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3
-> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
Everything controlled by iPeng