A few things are becoming a little clearer.  It helps me to get things
straight by recording what I know here, even if nobody else is
interested!

Some of what I feel is anomalous behaviour comes down to the
'compilation' flag. There is existing code in CUE.pm that sets the
compilation flag to true if the cuesheet ALBUMARTIST differs from any of
the individual track performers (the same as the rule I tried earlier,
except that the existing rule is only triggered when ALBUMARTIST is
explicitly set).

Another thing I realised is that after parsing, the concept of the cue
sheet is no longer relevant - what's returned is a track database, and
each track can have its own ALBUMARTIST, ARTIST and TRACKARTIST fields.

So a few observations (I'm fairly sure these are all correct, but it's
difficult to check every case):

1) If an album IS flagged as a compilation, neither the ALBUMARTIST nor
the ARTIST will ever show up in the Album Artists list.

2) If the compilation flag IS NOT set, the Album Artists list will
contain the ALBUMARTIST fields from all tracks (if set), or the ARTIST
fields (if ALBUMARTIST is not set).  I checked this by temporarily
disabling the built in compilation check.

3) Because of the built-in rule, an album that has multiple different
track artists -but no album artist- will not show up as a compilation.
In this case, the per-track ARTIST fields will contain the TRACKARTIST
values, and these will therefore appear in the Album Artists list.

So it seems that my original Phil Spector example, with multiple
different track artists and his name in the top level PERFORMER tag,
will fall foul of the built in compilation check (because "Phil Spector"
differs from at least one of the individual track artists).  And once it
is identified as a compilation, none of the performers will end up in
the Album Artists list (see point 1).

If I remove the top level PERFORMER tag, then the built in rule no
longer identifies it as a compilation, and since there's no ALBUMARTIST
field, the ARTIST fields (which equal the TRACKARTIST fields) are used
to populate the Album Artist menu.

So I now feel I understand what's going on - I just need to think
through what I would prefer to happen and work out how to achieve it.  I
suspect nothing can be done in CUE.pm to make "Phil Spector" appear in
the Album Artist list because of the downstream rule that nobody in a
compilation appears in the Album Artists.  Is that a valid rule or a
bug?  I'll have to think about that.