rootee wrote:
> Fair enough. But why present it then if not accurate && irrelevant?
> Where are those irrelevant figures coming from? How is the user supposed
> to know what sox is converting/delivering to the player, unless you
> deep-dive the logs?

Historical is the reason for presentation.  I think more useful when MP3
bit rate limited was in use.
When a stream is compressed, associated bit rates figures are usually
not accurate typically average or a target max bit rate..   When you
stream an internet stream which saying 48kbps  or 128kbps - it is not
accurate it is probably a maximum.

Only streaming PCM will have a constant accurate bit rate.

The 704kbps is probably estimated by taking the duration of a segment
and segment size after resampling and recompression.  Estimation may
only be done once (need to look at code to be sure).  Real data rate
would vary continuously if say music varied between between silence and
a major orchestral crescendo .