RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Thursday 25 Jul 2024  Volume 34 : Issue 37

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, founder and still moderator

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
  <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/34.37>
The current issue can also be found at
  <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

  Contents:
When it comes to math, AI is dumb (Steve Lohr)
Microsoft's Global Sprawl Under Fire After Historic Outage
 (WashPost)
Why no public outrage over CrowdStrike/Microsoft and ATT failures?
 (John Rushby, Andy Poggio)
Worldwide BSOD outage (via Rebecca Mercuri)
Crowdstrike references (Cliff Kilby)
Secure Boot is Completely Compromised (ArsTechnica via Wendy Grossman)
Hackers could create traffic jams thanks to flaw in
 traffic-light controller, researcher says (TechCrunch)
Encultured: an AI doomer’s video game startup pivots to
 medicine. It’ll be fine.  (Pivot to AI)
New findings shed light on risks and benefits of integrating AI
 into medical decision-making (medicalxpress.com)
Steven Wilson Struggles To Hear That It's Not Him Singingxo
 AI-Created Songs (Blabbermouth)
Limitless AI (Gabe Goldberg)
AI captions (Jim Geissman)
Switzerland now requires all government software to be
 open source (ZDNET)
Bipartisan legislation that would require all users to use government IDs to
 access major websites advances in Senate (NBC News)
LLM AI Bios (Rob Slade)
Re: U.S. Gender Care Is Ignoring Science (Martin Ward)
Re: In Ukraine War, AI Begins Ushering In an Age of Killer Robots
 (Amos Shapir)
Re: Fwd: Ozone Hole Mk. II (Cliff Kilby)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)