RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Thursday 29 Aug 2024  Volume 34 : Issue 43

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, founder and still moderator

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
  <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/34.43>
The current issue can also be found at
  <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

  Contents:
Apparent cyberattack at Seattle airport causes internet outages
 (WCBV)
Scammers dupe chemical company into wiring $60 million
 (Help Net Security)
Moscow’s Spies Were Stealing U.S. Tech, Until the FBI Started a
 Sabotage Campaign (Politico)
Android malware steals payment card data using previously unseen
 technique (ArsTechnica)
Recent bot campaign backing Poilievre shows AI easily
 accessible for political messaging: report (CBC)
Without Guardrails, Generative AI Can Harm Education (Dave Farber)
Foreign Policy: TikTok ban & global data commons (Douglas Lucas)
Telco fined $1M for transmitting Biden deepfake without
 verifying Caller ID (ArsTechnica)
RFID cards could turn into a global security mess after
 discovery of hardware backdoor (Techspot)
Apple to Let iPhone Users Delete Safari, Other Native Apps to Comply With EU
 Law (WSJ)
Re: Feds sue Georgia Tech for lying bigly about computer security
 (Cliff Kilby)
Re: Fake QR codes posted on Redondo Beach parking meters to scam drivers,
 police say (Geoff Luenning)
Re: Birmingham Oracle (Wol)
Re: Telegram billionaire co-founder Pavel Durov arrested
 (Turgut Kalfaoglu)
Re: Policy, due care, and the failure of Heartland Tri-State
 (Phil Smith III)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)