Hi James
I agree the documentation needs work done on it.
I think the Tryphon Wiki is the best source. Google has indexed it I believe.
Frederick Henderson spent a lot of time about a year ago tidying the
wiki up. He has done a nice job:).  But due to work commitments has
had to put his Rivendell work on hold. He still is on this mailing
list so pops up from time to time.
That's the good thing about open source... you can help any way you
want. Some are coders... some are docu writers... some make coffee...

Cheers
Geoff Barkman (aka username madmilkie on the wiki)