We're moving to 2.1.2 (at last). I need to upgrade one of our machines
to a dual core 64 bit machine and I'm thinking of other things we might
do to improve things.

It seems like the Rivendell client machines would be quite happy on a 60
GB drive (except for the /var/snd which lives on the server). 60 GB SSD
drives are under $100 these days and I'm thinking that the reduction of
heat and increase in speed might make them good choices for the client
machines. They should also be quieter than even the quietest spinning
drive. Reduction in the heat load in the boxes might mean that the smart
fans will spin a little slower further reducing noise.

I am thinking that if there isn't a downside, making the server
root/boot drive an SSD too might be a good thing to do just because it
might be faster and make database look ups quicker. The /var/snd volume
will stay a big spinning drive RAID-5 (or Raid-Z) array of expensive
enterprise class drives.

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Any drives to stay
away from? Any that have worked well? I saw a comment by one user that
said that they had an SSD drive that was lightning fast except for the
twice a day when it took 15 second to do some internal function. Clearly
that's not something I want to have in the automation system.

Bill Putney - KPTZ Port Townsend, WA