The systems that I have seen, have all used a client that connects to a
server at the studio rather than a browser.  Most of them will download
a low bitrate version of the songs or the beginning and end of the songs
before and after where the voice track will be placed.  The voice tracks
are recorded on the local pc using a client interface similar to the one
used to voice track in the studio and the tracks get uploaded and synced
up after the recording is finished.  If you google "remote voice
tracking" you will find several examples.  I'm not a programmer and have
no idea how much work it is to implement something like this into
Rivendell, but it is one of the few missing features in a great
automation package.