On Thursday 23 February 2012 01:08:25 am Matthew A. Chambers wrote:
> I took my Extra shortly after the FCC dropped the CW requirement as well,
> skipped general by taking it and extra test the same time. Having the
> extra also helped me get my job in broadcasting and also fast tracked my
> CBT cert from SBE too. Having the ham ticket not only says that a person
> knows radio but they know how to learn how stuff works!

 Since we're doing a little history....

 Got a Novice license, basically for kicks.

 Went some months later, and sat for the General, Advanced,
 Extra, First Phone, and Second telegraph.
 Being the unique applicant, I sat for and passed all of the
 written tests, followed by the code test.
 Since the Second code qualified for Extra, I only sat through
 the one code test.
 As I recall, 25 WPM text, and 20 WPM coded groups.
 Missed one question on the telegraph theory.
 I don't remember what question it was, but I do remember explaining
 to the examiner why my answer on one of the Extra questions was
 right, and his answer key was wrong. He conceded the amateur
 question, but I *was* wrong on the one telegraph.
 Something about electrolyte concentration on an Edison cell,
 and a Tungar bulb.

 I'm sure I could not pass today. Much has been forgotten.
 Only the commercial phone license ever helped me get a job.
 ( although I had greater pride in the Extra, and still do. At that
 time, it was mostly a vanity license, and that test was a b&^% !
 "Calculate the product of the complex impedances A+jB
 and X-jY." Not a multiple choice at the time )

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com