Hi,

While I have not tried this in Virtualbox, it sounds like an issue I ran
into with an Intel sound chipset on Ubuntu running on a real computer -
actual hardware.

Have a look at the solution I eventually found and see if it works for
you:

http://lists.rivendellaudio.org/pipermail/rivendell-dev/2011-May/012139.html

The quick explanation, some sound cards using ALSA don't seem to get the
correct sample rate when caed starts, and caed segfaults.  When I
specified the sample rate in your /etc/asound.conf it fixed the problem
for me.  Note that you have to set the sample rate in your asound.conf
to the same sample rate as you've set in rdadmin or else you'll get
strange playback results.  As an example

pcm.rd0 {
  type hw
  card 0
  rate 48000