OK, so I have a similar situation that came up while I was out on
vacation. WE are a contemporary christian station and have a teen top 40
music group that starts playing at 3pm, but contains some songs the
management has deemed "too Heavy" to be played during drive time (before
6PM). so the Music Director (who makes all the clocks and logs) tried to
setup those carts as dayparts, which worked, but with some caveats that
d not seem right to me, perhaps we have overlooked a setting or can you
confirm that this is the normal behavior for dayparting (it seems to me
to be wrong, but I don't have a huge radio background so what do I know
;) ):

1: The songs that have been dayprted will still be scheduled (by
rivendell's built in scheduler) to play when they should not, but the
actual audio will not play, so the cart is skipped and this throws the
timing off.
2: If you try to voicetrack a segment that should be airing in a valid
time, but are trying to record it during an invalid time, the audio will
show as not available and won't play. this seems quite useless, if one
is trying to VT the 6 o'clock hour for instance. we usually have someone
live during these times, but sometimes it is not possible.

All music is 1 cut per cart, and I think the problem is that daypart is
a cut setting, not a cart setting. Perhaps adding a tenth of a second of
silence as a cut in these carts would work for problem 1? Doesn't seem
very elegant. It would be better if the system would see that the only
cut (or all cuts) are dayparted and not schedule it to play when it
should not. not sure how to fix problem 2.

Aslo If you could set a rule that says don't play before (time) and
after (time)then it could be done by scheduler code. or if in the event
you could saymust be Teen top 40 and  must not be (scheduler code) (and
multiple codes in the must be, would be nice too)

I know we could rework the clocks and make a new group for after 6 but
MD doesn't want to mess with the TOP40 group and have a separate much
smaller group with an odd rotation, and I can see his point.

In my mind, it would seem that if a song is dayparted, it should not be
scheduled when it can't play, and you should still be able to voice
track it at anytime.

Surely we can not be unique here, what are you guys doing like this?

Nathaniel C. Steele
Assistant Chief Engineer/Technical Director
WTRM-FM / TheCrossFM