Regarding firewalls, pfsense is amazing and easy to use.  I use that with Open
VPN and only expose icecast to the outside world.

-----Original Message-----
From: rivendell-dev-boun...@lists.rivendellaudio.org on behalf of Robert
Jeffares
Sent: Sun 05/08/2012 15:52
To: rivendell-dev@lists.rivendellaudio.org
Subject: Re: [RDD] arrrrgh!!! % # -- CentOS and Rivendell

On Sun, 2012-08-05 at 21:07 +1200, Gavin Stephens wrote:
> new OS with even bigger learning curves to compile rather than install
> from
> an RPM on the old system.

as a user who has compiled Rivendell, and other things,  on various OS
since 1999, some of which no longer exist, the appliance cd is the
ultimate RPM.

Linux, by it's very nature, will have releases which the authors have
tailored to do a job, include all the 'latest' programs, or may contain
versions of the building blocks that are not compatible with Rivendell.
Thats the great part: You can make something thet does just what you
want.

A Rivendell server is going to be a stand alone device, not an all
singing all dancing box,  and the Appliance CDs contain an OS which has
been tuned to the purpose.

> I know Rivendell is sopose to be cross-linux platforms, but it never
> really
> appears that easy in the posts.

Rivendell is possible on all manner of platforms, but the platforms as
issued may not have all the required bits. Getting them installed may be
a mission. People building mailservers, web servers, publishing servers
have exactly the same challenges.

The Centos Appliance works, it updates, and the Centos OS has all the
things needed. It behaves in a 'standard' manner so networking, both
local and global are easy to configure. It has all the features it used
to take eons to install on Suse.

There is a Debian/Ubuntu Appliance

We had one issue with a nic that was not recognised by the OS because
our hardware was newer. This was resolved quickly.

Our only ongoing problems appear to be related to RML messages directed
to the wrong port. 5858 sends a response to the initiator 5859 just does
it. The response was triggering a start for the next event. Don't know
why but the change has eliminated the bump. We use RML messages to flag
the progress of routines handling traffic news and breaking news.

We have a continuing issue with security and the constant probing of our
IP address by parties looking to log in.

At times the intensity of the probing creates overhead that slows the
server down, and we may have to install a machine as a firewall.

This stuff is system independent.

We do production on Ubuntu, management on Suse, and run Windows for the
Scheduling and Accounts because thats what the software we have runs on.
We have an RRABUNTU install which is a backup and works perfectly on a
laptop

Migrating to the V2 via appliance [we did build one from scratch on
centos]  made sense because all the config has been done. We have 4
copies and the biggest delay is copying /var/snd Other wise it's been
plug and go.

Our local routines were easy to install and bash works as expected.

I can understand wanting to be 'in control' of an install, and I have
had a lot of fun with various distributions which all have great
features.

But in the end  the 4WD 'ute' with a towbar, bull bars and mudgrips does
the job.

Robert Jeffares
Big Valley Radio

#######################
Scanned by MailMarshal
#######################

############

Attention:

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended
for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error
or there are any problems, please notify the originator immediately.
The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message
is strictly forbidden. Christian Vision or any of its subsidiaries will
not be liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damages
arising from alteration of the contents of this message by a third party
or as a result of any virus being passed on. Please note that we reserve
the right to monitor and read any e-mails sent or received by the
company under the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulation 2000. Christian Vision is
registered in England as a limited company 2842414 and as a charity
1031031