Hi Robert (and others),

Thanks for the advice.  I have done some experiments along the lines you
suggested, but have to say it doesn't really do what I want, to the extent I
want.  It works (after a fashion) when applying only one or two scheduler
codes, but doesn't cut it when trying to apply logic over several.

Setting a code to 0 in a clock will apparently just make it unavailable for
selection.  On or off.  But what I want to do is construct some more complex
"and/or" situations which the scheduler will respond to.

To put it into programming parlance, here's an example of what I want to be
able to 'say' to the scheduler:

"Pick me songs which have (Country and Blues) if ((not (Rock or Gospel)) and
(speed is (Slow or Medium)) or (popular is True)) and (period is not (fifties
or nineties))".

As far as I can see, simply setting codes to 0 in a clock cannot achieve the
"and/or" constraints I'm looking for.

The Scheduler codes seem like a good idea, but Rivendell doesn't seem to be
able to make more than very basic elementary use of them.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might achieve what I want, or should I be
heading off in the direction of my C++ and MYSQL manuals to write a much more
fussy and intelligent scheduler of my own?

Thanks,

James L.