Rob,

I have NOT tried the following on Rivendell, but they have been running
with Linux without trouble for several years in small market radio here.

Dixon Systems Pro USB Audio Interface

Henry Engineering USB MatchboxII

The Dixon Systems box I use with several rotter appliances I built
running on Debian Lenny thumbdrives that write the audio to a NFS
share.  I haven't had any problems related to sound card issues.

The MatchboxII is playing a 60 minute show from an Internet stream 5
days a week without any trouble related to the sound card.

Todd