From: rivendell-dev-boun...@lists.rivendellaudio.org on behalf of Joseph
Matthews
Sent: Thu 03/01/2013 22:40
To: User discussion about the Rivendell Radio Automation System
Subject: Re: [RDD] Streaming Troubles with edcast_jack

How can I tell which user is "running" lame?

No, you weren't snappy, I was just frustrated at myself for forgetting the
entire reason for sending that reply. I've had some crossed wires in my brain
lately it would seem.

I like the idea of changing the buffer size, but I'm not sure how to do that. I
thought that the 512 comes from the frames/period of 128 times four
periods/buffer I tried other values for frames/period with the same result with
edcast_jack ("ringbuffer full, tried to write 4096, but available 4095"). But
when I change to 2 periods/buffer I get the same response ("ringbuffer full,
tried to write 512, but available 511").

When I run sudo darkice I get a different output, which seems to indicate there
may be a permissions problem. The output seems to show that darkice is trying
to start JACK even though JACK is already running:

Using config file: /etc/darkice.cfg
Using JACK audio server as input device.
Using POSIX real-time scheduling, priority 3
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jackdmp 1.9.6
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2010 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation /usr/bin/dbus-launch
terminated abnormally with the following error: Autolaunch error: X11
initialization failed.

Failed to acquire device name : Audio0 error : Invalid argument
Audio device hw:0 cannot be acquired, trying to open it anyway...
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
Using ALSA driver Audigy2 running on card 0 - SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0353] (rev.4,
serial:0x10031102) at 0xcd80, irq 17
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
Registering as JACK client darkice-3063
DarkIce: LameLibEncoder.cpp:75: lame lib opening underlying sink error [0]
JackTemporaryException : now quits...
jack main caught signal 2
Audio card Audio0 not found!!

Joey Matthews
xcint...@gmail.com

On Jan 3, 2013, at 3:16 PM, "Patrick Schmalstig / WRRJ Radio"
<xana...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay. In that case it may be a problem with LAME. I heard sometimes it's a
> permissions problem... that LAME needs to run as root and for whatever reason
> LAME is not running as root.
>
> Sorry if I sounded snappy when I said my question wasn't answered.
>
> If it is a problem with LAME, possibly it's what's affecting edcast_jack as
> well with the incorrect buffer sizes? Just for quirks... have you tried
> setting buffer to 513 (haha if it's even possible)?
>
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Joseph Matthews <xcint...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry! Yes, I did check and re-check the config. Everything appears to be
> in order.
>
> Joey Matthews

#######################
Scanned by MailMarshal
#######################

############

Attention:

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended
for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error
or there are any problems, please notify the originator immediately.
The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message
is strictly forbidden. Christian Vision or any of its subsidiaries will
not be liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damages
arising from alteration of the contents of this message by a third party
or as a result of any virus being passed on. Please note that we reserve
the right to monitor and read any e-mails sent or received by the
company under the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulation 2000. Christian Vision is
registered in England as a limited company 2842414 and as a charity
1031031