WE use case 2. problem is, a network disturbance still causes problems.,
ie unplug network cable, song stops. Would be nice if the current song
would at least keep playing, this would allow you to close and reopen
rdairplay for example if you needed to change a setting. I also have
experienced problems during large file transfers, and am not totally
sure wether it is network or disk bandwidth that is the bottleneck,
though I'm leaning toward disk, since it is a gigabit network, with only
Rivendell machines on that switch.

Nathaniel C. Steele
Assistant Chief Engineer/Technical Director
WTRM-FM / TheCrossFM